Thursday, February 14, 2013

Melancholy Shades of Greens and Oranges

Soundtrack(s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd3FX37mBt8 then http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCydQm83cJQ

Look at me, posting again in one day!  I'm getting good, right?

Actually...perhaps not.  I just happen to have thing better to do that I can force myself to do right this time.  Also, I finished a wonderful preteen's fantasy novel, and realized how good it really was...you don't tend to find very good fiction in the teen section anymore(or, at least, I don't).  It's all black and vampires and werewolves, and maybe a few fallen angels amongst the ruins.  I'm pretty tired of it, so I don't tend to look there as much anymore.  Preteen section is safer, and honestly, I find they have better stories in terms of romance.  Yeah, it's still there to some extent, but it's actually palatable, instead of disgustingly central to the story.  It's still fairly hard to find.  Maybe I'll do some sort of book-a-month sort of thing.  Or, I just may write it down after I read it...y'know, when I get the drive to.  Heh.  Yeah.  Drive.

Or I could just do it now!  Beat the loneliness and daydreamer's depression beasties, and write up a book review!  Are you ready?  Here it comes!

The Waterstone ~ Rebecca Rupp


A sort of coming-of-age story about a young boy, Tad.  He hears a strange, terrifying voice, and water starts to disappear from his pond and surrounding the forest.  He, his father, Pondleweed, and his sister, Birdie, set out to find why this is, if it is happening elsewhere, and if so, then why and what they can do about it.  Thus a journey is started.  Along the way, Tad makes many friends and grows up a bit, too; he learns that life isn't always what you want it to be, but you keep going, you press through, and eventually there will be a sunny day, a good day.  I won't tell you the rest, since that would spoil it, but it's got a clean rating from me - no sex, no swearing(unless you consider "fish pee" etc. swearing), and minimal romance(honestly, it's just the boy commenting on how pretty a girl is, that's about it).  Yeah, it's a preteen novel, so your children would enjoy it, but I quite liked it as well.  It's refreshing, and perfectly paced; not too fast, not too slow.  It has some very good themes, but is relatively down-to-earth for a fantasy novel.  One of my personal favorites for the last few years, since I first read it.  I'd recommend it for all ages.

There, see?  I went and did it.  Good for me, huzzah and all that.  I even have a soundtrack for it.  It's funny, I was originally going to post something on how depressed(not truly depressed, more like melancholy) I was after finishing a good book, and needing somehow to play or write it out, but it helped me more to just accept that the story's done for now, and yeah, there were losses in it, but it was good while it lasted.  To go through life forever thinking that no matter what you're doing, it's going to end eventually is a rotten way to live; where's the fun in it?  So yes, I went outside my self-imposed box and did something a bit different.

You know what?

It was okay.  And I'll be okay, too.  I'm not torn up inside, I'm not broken(just a little cracked, perhaps), and I've got Jesus.  It's enough.

In fact, it will always be enough.

~Fumble

No comments: